Wednesday, May 6, 2009

KEMENYAN FANZINE: Interview With Funeral Rites


You should have heard about Funeral Rites, right? An established name beside SIGH, SABBAT and ABIGAIL. Yap, Japanese metal scene is still moving and growing just like their technology. They still keep the traditional satanic themes burning, black metal in most desecrating and blasphemous way....

Let me hear your first whispers?
Hail! This is Kentaro of Funeral Rites. How is your metal life?


Yes, I must must it is alive and kicking! Tell me about your “The Wintermoon” demo, like recording, satisfactory, selling and problems?
We’re not satisfied with “The Wintermoon” demo. Especially its sound quality. But it was recorded 3 years ago and we liked songs included that demo. We could get responses by it. Especially Nordic Vision magazine gave its review their half page. This is great thing.

Any new compositions after that? Do you mind telling me some title tracks?
We sign Painkiller Records (Belgium) February and release our full-lngth album till summer. The album title will become “Necroeater”.

Ooopps, can you tell me what drove you to started Funeral Rites?
Funeral Rites was formed in December 1994. This was very naturally thing because we have black hearts.

Nowadays the traditional satanic themes become more lost and forgotten. Can you explain these situation? How about Funeral Rites?
Our lyrics are written about satanism, satanic stories, human beings, fools and etc. I think Satanism and Black Metal is the history of war against all religions. We hate all religions!

Do you think, black metal with melodic elements get more popular than black metal with destructive elements?Black metal is an extreme music. So black metal keeps changing forever. But we don’t forget destructive heart. Our sound is enough to destroy this world.

What do you think about situation in eastern scene after some times? Do you know anything from Malaysia?Japanese metal scene is in good condition because true bands can only survive. I know some Malaysian bands and have listened to their sound. I know they have good sound quality.

I would like to know your opinion on these bands:
1. Amduscias
2. Borknagar
3. Cradle Of Filth
4. Mayhem

AMUDUSCIAS is great. I like their debut Mcd. The melody lines are genius. I don’t listen to BORKNAGAR very much. Sorry. CRADLE OF FILTH came to Japan last year. Their gig is very good. But I don’t like them very much because their sound is not aggressive. I have no word about MAYHEM because everybody know they are GOD. But today’s MAYHEM is not true MAYHEM. I don’t like it. It’s low quality.

With what bands you grown up? Let me know your all time favorite bands? Do you takes them as influences?
I love early Thrash/Black metal. I love Sodom, Destruction, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Mayhem, Burzum and etc.

If you got an opportunity, with what bands you like to play live? Do you like to play covers songs?
We have played covers from Sodom, Bathory, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost and Destruction in our gigs.

Tell me your future plans?
We keeps playing true black metal forever!!!

C/o: Kentaro Kameyama, Nest Kamishinjo 301, 3-2-12 Komatsu, Higashiyodogawa-ku, Osaka 533-0004, Japan

Taken from issue # 5 (March 1999)
Interview by:- Rammy

No comments: